Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Soaring Brilliance of "Up"

Last Friday night I went to see the new Disney/Pixar movie “Up,” and after the first ten minutes I’d already decided this film was an animated masterpiece. I won’t give anything away, but the first ten minutes is a little movie all in itself, and can only be described as one of the most touching animated sequences I’ve ever seen. I am still choked up just thinking about it, and I dare anyone not to feel the same.

Okay, moving on. The screening I saw was in 3D, which was pretty cool, although after a while you completely forget about it. (Unless, of course, you find the special glasses particularly uncomfortable.) The theater was packed with adults and kids and lots of teenagers. I was actually surprised at how many packs of teenage boys came together to see this film. When I was a kid, teenage boys would not be caught dead at a Disney film, but I guess Pixar has more of a “cool factor.”

I guess what I liked most about “Up” is how involved I got with the characters, and how much it mattered to me that they succeeded in their quest. I think this movie taps into a lot of emotional and thought-provoking ideas, and I applaud the creators at Pixar for making such a beautiful piece of art.

But that’s just me. What did you think of “Up”?

9 comments:

Lynne said...

I haven't seen it yet, but I can't wait to do so! I'm hoping we can go this weekend, thanks for the review!

feefifoto said...

My daughter and I give "UP" two thumbs way up. Still, I'm so over the 3D stuff. It was fun when I was, oh, 13, but I'm not any more, so enough already.

Beth said...

My husband and I are going to watch " UP " this weekend .

It's so funny both me and him loves pixar animation movies.

AmyOops said...

thanks for the review, going to take the kids this weekend

desperateblogger said...

haven't seen the movie yet. can't wait to see it though as your review was all rave.

desperateblogger said...

is your profile picture actually "you"?

LODS said...

Im actually watching this movie as i do my drops. Its pretty good and like you Im really looking forward that they finish what they started. since the movies are a bit expensive im watching it on filmhill.com

Clara said...

What do I think? I think I'll be going to see it soon. I always love Pixar movies, but it's wonderful to hear such a glowing recommendation.

Henson Ray said...

Lynne--You'll really enjoy it. Have fun.

feefifoto--I remember seeing a really bad 3D movie when I was a kid, where they only used the 3D effect every now and then with a ball or a bullet or something. So the glasses were more of a pain than effective. But for this movie, I felt it just took you a little deeper into that world. I didn't mind them at all.

Beth--I think Pixar brings a lot of people together. As I said, I was surprised at the number of teenage boys that were there. Pixar has a way of tapping right into the human experience that makes you fall in love with their characters and their films right away. They are definitely a bunch of geniuses there. (FYI. Working for Pixar would be a dream job of mine.)

AmyOops--Have fun. Let me know what you think.

desperateblogger--I'm sure you'll enjoy it when you see it. Is YOUR profile picture actually YOU?

Life, Marriage and Kids--I've never heard of filmhill. Is that a bootleg thing?

Clara--I'm sure you'll love it.